So, Why Law?

April 18, 2018

Source: Brittney Bulter // Unsplash

So, what interests you about the law?

It's the interview question you always get, but the one I find hardest to articulate an answer. Simply because everything about it interests me. 

I can't remember how I started reading criminology books. I think I got lost at my university's library and ended up in the wrong section. Rather than looking like an idiot, I started pulling books off the shelf. One of them happened to be a criminology book. The interest began.

I met a junior solicitor in a general practice and went on a few dates with a criminal law barrister. My interest only grew. They never really talked about what they did, but their level of knowledge was astounding, something to aspire to.

Somehow, I feel like the answer of "I just love it" is insufficient.

Now that I've begun studying parts of the law, I have a better answer.

I like that - at the core of law - we're all the same. It doesn't care if you're rich or poor, European or Maori, where you live, how you dress or how many friends you have. It isn't made to be fairer on either party. It just is

The structure is geared towards the research side of my personality. I can chase the damn rabbit down the hole as long as is required, without complaining. So far, that's what I've found with legislation. You chase down one thing which leads you to another and another, and so on. It's easy to get caught up in all the legal jargon and sometimes you lose sight of the actual question, but the journey is fun. 

I like helping people. It can be something as simple as holding a door open for a mother with a stroller, editing my sister's assignment or calling someone on behalf of another. Just simple tasks that are difficult for another person or they simply don't have the time to do. Some people turn to the law for a positive reason - like acquiring a business - and some people turn to the law for a negative reason - like a marriage dissolution. Regardless, everyone needs help at some point in their lives and I would like to be able to help others in a productive way.

Part of my reason for pursuing a career as a legal executive was to understand the rights and regulations of my life. Through study, I am beginning to see how laws shape different aspects of the country and the governing bodies that run New Zealand. It's fascinating. Many people say that the law is unfair, but they only see the surface level of what is portrayed. You get a glimpse, but not enough to see the bigger picture. I'm a big picture person. I like to know how things operate so they can serve the whole. After all, ignorance of the law is not a satisfactory defence. 

The law is constantly shifting and changing with modern times. Acts are being amended, codified and consolidated, processes are being reviewed, and new legislation is being established. It is a living, breathing entity that is upholding the safety of the country. Ask yourself: Where would we be if none of the laws existed?

So, why law? What's your favourite area of law?

You Might Also Like

0 comments